21 December 2012

Pit Layout

My sincere thanks to Mark 'Wood' Killen, for providing the source files for Google sketch layout of the pit.

This has saved me loads of work. I would have had to make the layout myself, otherwise.









I plan to build my pit quite similar to what Mark has rigged up for himself. However, since, 'portability' of the pit is one of the key criteria for me, I will have to use thinner wood panels to keep the overall weight down. 

I also plan to break the pit down into four "pieces" for ease of transportation (ejection seat, left console, right console and front instrument panel).


4 comments:

  1. That is so badass! Can't wait for it to come to life! Is the HUD actually going to work, as it does it real aircrafts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment "Air Force Pics".

    Regarding your question related to HUD, if this was FS9, it was doable. Quite easily infact.

    With FSX (especially with the VRS F/A-18E with TacPack)this is a bit of a challenge. It's not readily possible to 'extract' the HUD symbology from VC as a separate gauge.

    I have read pit documentation of atleast one guy who made a working HUD (collimated projected display) for a Viper (F-16) pit. Haven't heard of anyone able to do that for a VRS bird, yet.

    Will the HUD work on my pit as it does on real aircraft - yes.
    Will it be a 'separate projected display' - No. Atleast, not in the initial few iterations of my pit. Eventually, maybe, as soon as I'm able to figure out a way to do that. I have looked into some methods of projecting the display from an LCD monitor using a prismatic glass arrangement. But, even when I was working on the initial design, I knew it is not going to be practical to build.

    Thank you for taking the time to read through, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and one more thing, how will you enter and exit the pit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting,

    I will either hop in/out, or hinge one side of the pit, Or make the seat sliding.

    ReplyDelete